Two people electrocuted on Queensland rural property

In December 2018, a mother and her daughter were electrocuted on a rural property after contacting a length of electric fencing type wire that was energised. The electric fencing wire was run from the bull bar of a truck to a tree stump on the property.

Early investigations indicate that a damaged extension cord which had an exposed a section of copper wire made the metal parts of the truck live at 240v A.C. This included the bull bar and a hook connected to electric fencing type wire.

The extension cord was plugged into a socket outlet supplying the battery charger, charging the battery system inside the truck.

The circuit was not protected by a safety switch (RCD), but by a rewireable fuse using copper wire instead of correctly rated fuse wire. Investigations are continuing.